[Ponte Alto] Greetings fto a New Member

Barbara Reed bereed26 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 04:42:44 PDT 2004

Milady -

Welcome to the SCA.  I hope that you and your daughter
enjoy the comraderie and bonds of friendship which
many of us enjoy through this organization.  I've been
a part of this organization for over 20 years, and I
treasure the individuals whom I have met over the
years.

Our Barony (and, indeed, our kingdom) enjoys the
diverse artistic talents of many individuals.  We have
some very talented teachers in our group who's
interests run in the same vain as yours - specifically
jewlery making and cooking.  One of the best ways to
get involved in the cooking end & to meet others cooks
is to volunteer to assist in the kitchen at a feast.
Personally, I've learned a great deal from others in
that manner over the years.  Attending A&S nights
(which are listed on our local calader) is another way
to meet other artisans.

> I'm interested in archery, cooking, and jewelry
> making.

> I am used to cooking for my large family, and am
> excited to learn some period recipes.
>
> I used to do beading in college as a hobby, because
> I'm so awful at sewing that will probably be my A&S
> contribution.

Personally, I do not know anyone who engages in the
science of "alchemy" in the SCA.  We try to stick to
documentable arts and sciences.  The SCA is first and
formost a non-profit education organization, and this
is still an important goal for all of our groups.  I
don't think this is the venue for your daughter to
learn certain skills for role-playing games, but we
have some very fine archery teachers in our local area
who would be very happy to encourage her interest in
that persuit.

> My oldest daughter interested in joining is Kathryn.
>  She is 10 and loves history and reading.  She's
> also into RPG's, although she thought the SCA could
> teach her how to do spells.  I wonder if there's
> something in the A&S department that might be like
> alchemy or something?  She also wants to learn
> archery.

Again, welcome & I hope that you and your family enjoy
the Current Middle Ages.

Yours in Service,

Baroness Greta Klusenaere
Deputy A&S Officer, Barony of Ponte Alto
Deputy Rapier Marshall, Barony of Ponte Alto
Etc.