[Ponte Alto] Off to WAR!!

Craig Allen corun at medievalist.org
Fri Aug 6 08:18:24 PDT 2004

Peronelle wrote:

>Heigh ho, heigh ho it's off to WAR we go!
>To rob and pillage,
>Slay our foe!
>Heigh ho, heigh ho, Heigh ho, heigh ho
>
>And our first dragon to slay will be the nasty bumpy PA Turnpike. Check the
>Merry Rose for discussions of alternate routes around the construction at
>Breezewood.

I can highly recommend taking 68 through MD and WV to 79. This is not appreciabley longer though there are fewer places to pull off and those are all in towns and not the formal rest stops you find on the pike. I take this route exclusively and I travel it a lot, not just for Pennsic. I find I can make Cumberland in about 2 to 2.5 hours, Morgantown in another 1.5 and then Pennsic in about another 2 and change. I only need to stop for gas once if I fill up before I hit the road from here and I can usually do that in Morgantown where I get lunch or dinner too. And no tolls. The hills are no less friendly to a loaded vehicle than the pike. The road is wide and fast (65 in MD, 70 in WV, take your chances in PA). And it's more scenic.

Have fun.

Corun