[Ponte Alto] Fwd: Atlantian 5-man Melee Tournament

Belphoebe belfebe at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 09:07:03 PDT 2004

"Baron Alejandro Mateo Ramirez y Mendoza, Preboste" <baronalejandro at mindspring.com> wrote:Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:03:24 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From: "Baron Alejandro Mateo Ramirez y Mendoza, Preboste"
To: atlantianrapiernet at yahoogroups.com, provost at yahoogroups.com,
king at atlantia.sca.org, queen at atlantia.sca.org, grvsnd at verizon.net,
melchior at houseblueheron.com
Subject: Atlantian 5-man Melee Tournament
CC: raybill at comcast.net, belfebe at yahoo.com, kathrynsnead at comcast.net,
monica.gaudio at crowncastle.com, brian at darkwoodarmory.com

Greetings!

The Atlantian 5-man Melee Tournament was held on Tuesday, August 17th, 2004 at Pennsic XXXIII. This was the 10th Atlantian 5-man Melee Tournament that we have held, and we were joined by many friend & compatriots from around the Knowne World. 35 teams entered of 5 persons apiece, making for a list of 175 fighters. Unless I am wrong, this was a new record for us. To my knowledge this was the largest Rapier Tournament held at Pennsic.

Many people contributed to make this tournament a success, and without them I could not have pulled any of this off. The Deputy Marshal in Charge, Lord William Cameron (aka Slick Willie) was absolutely invaluable, as was the patience, skill, and tenacity of the Mistress of the Lists, Meisterinde Ilse von Bremen & her team. The marshals worked hard in the hot sun to ensure that everybody stayed safe & had fun. Many thanks also to our friends in the Kingdom of Ansteorra who graciously switched time slots with us in order to accommodate the 500lb behemoth that is the Atlantian 5-man. Lady Brianna O'Dineen made the final prize for the Tournament, and I know it will be treasured & cherished. Finally, the Barony of Ponte Alto led by Their Excellencies provided for Their Majesties Atlantia & guests, and provided GORGEOUS prizes for courtesy to be handed out.

In the end, there could be only one. Her Majesty's Sinister Men, composed of Master Roland de Montenay (OWS), Duke Ragnarr Blackhammer, Atlantia's newest Free Scholar, Sir Colin Gordon, Atlantia's newest Scholar, Monsieur Jean-Claude de Calais, Free Scholar, and Sir Vladimir Ivanovich came onto the field and ensured the prize stayed within Atlantia's borders. Congratulations to those fine Sinister Men who came out of the Woods Battle to earn yet more renown on the Pennsic Fields of Glory.

Notable fighters were the 'Fornicating Ferrets' (hey, *I* didn't choose the name) who slogged their way through the Bear Pit Wild Card to challenge one of the last two teams for their spot in the finals didn't quite make it, but they came darned close.
The Prize of Courtesie went to a set of five gentlemen mostly based from Aethelmearc who went by the name 'The Imports'. These gentlemen were true examples of good field behavior, and though they had to leave for Aethelmearc court, I do have prizes for them all. The card with their names on it, along with the fabulous embroidered pouches, is safely at home (i'm doing this from work) so I will be looking for you soon to get your prizes to you. A notable incident occurred when 4/5ths of the Imports had to go to Aethelmearc Court, leaving Earl Brian of Darkwood by himself to defend the Imports' slot in the Tournament. His Excellency chose to retain the field, by himself. Her Majesty's Sinister Men graciously granted His Excellency single combat to decide the bout, and in the end the Sinister Men won out, but not for lack of trying on His Excellency's part.

Her Royal Majesty Atlantia gave a prize for valor to a young unnamed gentleman who held off three of the enemy by himself until reinforcements arrived to win the day. That young man's name went unsubscribed, but such a feat of arms will surely live on.

A tournament involving nearly 200 participants, of course, cannot go perfectly. I and my staff did our best to ensure that everything was run safely & smoothly. If you were unsatisfied with the conduct of our Tournament, please do accept my sincerest apologies and a commitment to continue to try to improve it. However, the number of compliments I recieved regarding this tourney far outweighed the complaints, and my sincerest, most heartfelt thanks to the countless number of fighters who complimented Atlantia & Her Tournament. The credit truly goes to the staff who tirelessly worked it and a Kingdom that enthusiastically supports it.

In all lawful things, I stand ready to serve Atlantia, Her Crown & Heirs, Her Populace and bersaglieres.

Baron Alejandro Mateo Ramirez y Mendoza, Preboste
Deputy Kingdom Rapier Marshal
Captain of Queen's Spears to Her Royal Majesty, Padraigin, Regina Atlantia
Conch Pursuivant

-- It is a terrible insult to anyone to kill them when you are badly dressed.
(From the Rules of Ettiquette of the Ankh Morpork Guild of Assasins)
House Fallen From Grace, "Corrupting the Innocent since 1569": http://www.houseffg.org
Atlantian Siege Guild http://siege.atlantia.sca.org