[Ponte Alto] FYI: Upcoming (Free) Koto Concert at UMD

J. Badgley logan at modzer0.gi.alaska.edu
Sun Apr 18 16:41:29 PDT 2004

Forgive me if you get this twice, but I am trying to send this out to
everyone who might be interested.

There is a free Koto recital next weekend, April 25th, at the University
of Maryland, Gildenhorn Recital Hall in the Clarice Smith Performing Arts
Center.  The concert is by the Washington D.C. Koto Society
(http://kotosociety.org), Okamoto Kyoko, director.

The koto is the Japanese zither, and it has been played since
proto-historic times; probably a variant of a mainland zither from China
or Korea.  The 13-stringed koto most often played today, with its movable
bridges, features in "The Tale of Genji", among other historic works.

The recital, which begins at 2pm (doors open at 1:30pm), will include
koto, shakuhachi, shamisen, and taiko, along with other accompaniment and
singing.  This is a great chance to hear some traditional Japanese music.

Here's all of the info in summary:

Annual Spring Koto Recital
Gildenhorn Recital Hall
Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Sunday, April 25th
2:00pm-4:00pm

Seating is on a first-come first-serve basis.  Feel free to share this
with anyone else who would be interested.  There is no money involved:
this is the spring recital for the Koto Society and the UMD koto students.

-Joshua B.