[Ponte Alto] Seeking Advice for Teaching a class.

egeorges egeorges at cox.net
Mon Mar 3 08:07:02 PST 2003

Irene,

Speaking as someone whose first period EVER at a University was teaching a
class....
(not necessarily the recommended way to do it, BTW.)

Starting by teaching the class at an Asian night is a wonderful idea.  Doing
the class once for folks you know well is always helpful.  Be sure to
advertise the class on  this list so that folks can make sure to show up the
night you are giving the class. (It sounds interesting!) Also, ask your
students for feedback -- what they thought worked, what didn't.  Use the
info to improve your class the next time you teach it.

Atlantia University sets up classes in 50 minute blocks, but will schedule a
two-period class for certain classes.  Becasue University tries to offer as
diverse a group of classes as possible, they generally don't offer a class
more than once during a session (so I think cleaning brushes for the next
class might not be an issue.)  Also, they tend to want folks to teach only
one class a session, unless they are planning an entire track of classes.

Becasue I give my students beads and wire, my fees tend to be around $4-$5
per student.  I tend not to charge students if all they are getting for
their fee is a handout.  Other teachers charge maybe $2 for a handout,
particularly if there are color copies involved.  Generally, you want to
keep the fees as low as you can, so that the maximum number of people can
participate and price is not a barrier.  Remember also to set a limit on the
number of students, particularly if your class is "hands on" -- consider how
many people you can successfully provide individual attention to for the
practical portion of the class.  I can deliver the same lecture to seven or
seventy. But once I put tools in their hands, I find I can't instruct more
than 7-10 students.

Good Luck!

Luce Antony Venus