[Ponte Alto] Announcing "Asian Nights"!

Ellen Davis ellen.m.davis at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 14 17:39:48 PST 2003

Unto the gentlefolk of Ponte Alto and Stierbach does Áine Sindradottir
send greetings!

Are you interested in exploring the broad variety of Asian cultures?  Do
you have an Asian persona, or have you ever thought it would be fun to
create one?  Do you have questions or stories to share about how Asian
reenactment works in the SCA?

Starting in February, Lord Ii Saburou Katsumori and I will be hosting a
monthly “Asian Night” to discuss and explore all things Asian.  (For
this purpose we are defining “Asian” as Mongolia and eastward, but
anyone is welcome to attend.)  Ii-dono and I both specialize in Japanese
but welcome the chance to explore other Asian cultures as well.

Subject to interest, we plan to make this a monthly event (second Monday
of the month).  For the first meeting there is not yet a “program”
planned, but for future ones we may well do something of that nature.  I
encourage anyone interested in exploring a specific topic, or doing a
presentation, to please let me or Ii know!

DATE/TIME: 6:30 PM on February 10th (a Monday).

LOCATION:  Áine’s apartment (7405 Englewood Place, #203, Annandale
22003).

WHAT TO BRING: Any reference materials, A&S projects in progress,
questions, ideas, etc. etc
but at the very least, an open mind!

QUESTIONS: Call or email Áine at 703-256-5755 (nlt 10:30 PM) or
ellen.m.davis at att.net, or Ii at logan at modzer0.cs.uaf.edu

In service,
Áine

DIRECTIONS:

Take the Beltway (I-495) to the exit for Little River Turnpike/Rt. 236
EAST.  After you merge onto 236, go through two stoplights and turn LEFT
at the third, Medford Drive.  (As you complete the turn, there will be a
Taco Bell/KFC and a Blockbuster Video on your right.)  Follow Medford
around until you see it end in a T-intersection; my apartment complex,
the Parliaments, will be on your right.  Turn RIGHT at the last entrance
into the complex before the T, then immediately turn LEFT again into the
service road/parking lot paralleling Medford.  Up past the dumpsters
there are guest parking spaces marked on the left; if the first section
is full there is another one a couple hundred feet further up.  From the
guest spaces, turn around to face the playground.  There is a set of
steps leading down and then a sidewalk running to the right of the
playground.  Follow this up to the glorified parking lot that is
Englewood Place; cross the lot, and slightly to your left will be #7405
(it’s the only white-painted building).  My apartment is #203, on the
top floor.

"Killing is wrong. And bad. There should be a new, stronger word for
killing
like 'badwrong', or 'badong'. Yes! Killing is 'badong'. From
this moment, I will stand for the opposite of killing: 'gnodab'." -- The
Chosen One, "Kung Pow!: Enter the Fist"