[Ponte Alto] Demo announcement 5/10

AbelofRegnesfolc at aol.com AbelofRegnesfolc at aol.com
Thu Feb 27 10:03:49 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/27/2003 12:45:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, corun at cox.net
writes:

> Abel wrote:
> >
> >Knightly Day on the Mall- May 10, National Mall- Washington Monument
>
> [SNIP]
>
> >Some of the things to keep in mind about the site:
> >
> >4.  No live steel; however "Olympic style fencing" equipment is allowed
> (so
> >foils are okay but leave the Schlagers at home).
>
> In the first part of this you say Olympic style equipment, but at the end
> you mention foils only. Are we allowed to use epees, which piece of Olympic
> style fencing equipment is much the more predominantly used than just
> foils. Also, how about flexi daggers? I would much rather see more detail
> on what equipment is or is not allowed right up front for the sake of
> adhering to the laws as well as the concerns of the Park Police (and the
> Secret Service, FBI, CIA and whoever else is down there these days watching
> every little thing going on within five miles of the White House).
>
> Thank you,
> Corun

Hello Corun,
To answer your question only fencing foils are allowed at this point. I will
specifically ask about  the epees, sabers, and flexi daggers with the park
service during the permit review in March. Foils drew the least questions in
my conversations so far simply because the reviewing officer had a frame of
reference for them. Remember as it is a demo, we can always tell the populace
what is used at local practices if it differs from what is available on that
day.

Also realize that the Park Service is a little extra paranoid so I am not
sure what their final ruling will be.

However I think it would be best if people left their personal swords,
spears, katanas, daggers, maces, axes, etc., at home. Lets not get any more
raised eyebrows than nessecary and approach this as conservativley as
possible.

-Abel