[Ponte Alto] Royal Bard Competition

DCADENISE at aol.com DCADENISE at aol.com
Sat Dec 13 09:43:34 PST 2003

Greetings Bards of Ponte Alto,
    Ponte Alto has many fine performers and it was evident in the Performers
Symposium last winter.  Master Ruaidhri an Cu is calling all bards to compete
for Royal Bard at Kingdom 12th Night and below is his challenge to find a
successor. This is wonderful opportunity for those with bardic talents to compete
in the competition.  We look forward to seeing many of you at Kingdom 12th
Night and at the Royal Bard competition.
In Service
Thomas and Denise

Worthy Bards of Atlantia,

The time has come for Their Majesties to choose a new Royal Bard to
serve Themselves and Their heirs.  At the Kingdom Twelfth Night
celebration a contest shall be held to select my replacement.  Finding
that replacement is my final duty as Royal Bard.

Because each bard has his or her own strengths it would be foolish to
expect the next Royal Bard to perform, compose, and serve in the same
way that I have, therefore the contest will be based around the duties
of the Royal Bard.  The Royal Bard of Atlantia is tasked with serving
The Crown, entertaining the populace, and promoting the Bardic Arts
within the Kingdom of Atlantia.  The contest shall reflect those duties.

The competition shall consist of three rounds.

The first round shall commence at 1:00.
    Each bard shall have three minutes to perform any piece that they
wish, so long as it is appropriate to our Society (i.e. a period piece,
on a period theme, of SCA origin, etc.).  After the first round the
judges will select those bards who will participate in the second round.

The second round shall commence at 2:30.
    Each bard shall have five minutes to perform a piece that is either
from period or an original piece composed in a period style and on a
period theme.  Modest documentation is recommended (It would be wise to
have the source of the material available for the judges, to compensate
for our possible ignorance of your piece or style.).  After the second
round the judges will select those bards who will participate in the
third round.

The third round shall commence at 4:30.
    Each bard shall have ten minutes to perform a piece on the theme of
one of the seven virtues (faith, charity, hope, fortitude, justice,
temperance, or prudence).  The final round will be judged by Their
Majesties.

If you have any questions please contact me via phone at (301)570-9434
or via e-mail at <gorp at erols.com>.

Your servant, if you will have me,

Master Ruaidhri an Cu