[Ponte Alto] Beding Rattan

Craig Lee-Allen corun at cox.rr.com
Sun Sep 23 08:35:26 PDT 2001

Abel wrote:

>Does anybody have any ideas on how to bend a rattan stick and have it keep
the shape?

>To goal here is to have about a 40 degree bend in the stick (aka the
hockey stick of doom). I had one pole tied to my rafters with one end being
pulled to the ground. It was like this for 2 weeks but when I took it down
within a few days the pole returned to its origonal shape.

You can put a permanent bend in wood (and rattan) using heat, either dry or
wet, as in steam. I would suggest using steam as a starter. Soak the rattan
thoroughly (leave it overnight in a tub of water). You'll need to build
yourself a steaming box, at least enough of one to completely cover the
part you're bending, and build it in the desired shape of the bend. This
box will enclose the piece you're bending so that steam surround the entire
piece. Let it steam for a good couple of hours and then let it set for
several days until completely dry before removing it from the steaming box.
This should ensure that the bend stays. This is a method used by
shipwrights to bend planks for the hulls of boats.

Alternately you can use a torch (i.e. propane or butane) to heat the inside
and  outside of the bend while you're bending the piece. You'll need to
build some sort of jig that allows you to tighten up on the piece, i.e.
draw it into the bend slowly applying the flame directly to it. Luthiers do
something similar when bending the staves of lute backed instrument or
violin bows. However, rather than apply direct heat from a flame, you can
take a large (3-4" diameter) piece of steel pipe and put your torch inside
it heating the pipe. You then work the piece around the pipe until you have
achieved the desired bend. There are various companies that supply lutherie
or woodworking tools and they may have something like this, though most
luthiers I've talked to build their own, whether using a torch or an
electric coil for heat inductance.

Good luck,
Corun