[Ponte Alto] Oakton H.S. "Night on Oaktown" Demo March 31st

Shannon Smith sorchadeglys at worldnet.att.net
Thu Mar 22 13:05:12 PST 2001

Greetings, generous citizens of Ponte Alto and Storvik, from Sorcha de Glys,
demo coordinator of Ponte Alto!

This is a reminder and further details of our demo scheduled for March 31 at
Oakton H.S. in Oakton, VA.  If you are able to join us and are not listed
here or need directions, please contact me at (703) 264-0072 or
sorchadeglys at att.net or contact Lady Nina at (301) 879-8497 or
schreuderk at aol.comas as soon as you can.  Thank you to everyone who has made
their services available!

March 31 - Oakton H.S. "Night on the Oaktown", 7:30pm

It so happens that one of our Storvik members is a teacher at Oakton H.S. in
Ponte Alto and would like our assistance.  A demo there would give us access
to large number of students and their families as well as help the school
raise money for much-needed equipment.  Parents and community members buy
tickets to an evening of entertainment and food at the school.

Since people will most likely be coming and going throughout the evening
viewing the various distractions, we plan to have artisans doing their
crafts (spinning, calligraphy/illumination, music, painting, shoemaking) and
talking to passers-by or answering questions about their craft.  We will
have a handout available to give to those interested in joining the SCA.

At 8:30 pm, we will present a general SCA demo, including costume, music,
dance?, heraldry, and fighting (heavy or rapier or both).  The outline of
the demo will depend on who is there to speak and any time constraints our
host may have.

Allasondrea and Anne have coordinated a group of musicians to play their
medieval instruments for the crowd assembled.  That will be a treat for all!
Perhaps they can play during the demo while we dance?

We will always need people to answer questions about who we are and what we
do.  If you don't have an art to work on and you have good pictures of
events, please bring them with you to show interested parties!

If you are in need of a table or chairs to set yourself up to do your thing,
please let me know as soon as possible so that I can request those items
from our host.  If you only need half a table, please include that so we
don't ask for too many!

*Special Note:  Athough live steel is not normally allowed on school
grounds, the principal has given special permission for swords as long as
they are tied into scabbards.  Knives used by artisans are acceptable.

Expected attendees:
Muireann ni Riordain (Calligraphy and Illumination?)
Celia (music and maybe embroidery or C&I )
Anne of Carthew (music)
Allasondrea (music, calligraphy (?))
Corun MacAnndra (music)
Sorcha de Glys (garb, misc. daily life items)
Andrew Grey (armor, heavy fighting, garb, misc.)
Caitlyn (?)
Lady Hrosvitha von Celle (rapier, garb, embroidery, and recorder)
George (Rapier, basic chain mail making, maybe the harp?)
Delfina VonMulva (?) (rapier)
Lady Nina of the Lost Caverns and a few others from Storvik so far

As you can see, we are in need of another heavy fighter.  If you know of
someone who is available to fight Andrew, please encourage them to show
their support.

I look forward to seeing you all there and having a good time!

For the "educational" in "Not-for-profit, educational organization",
Yours,
Sorcha de Glys  :)