[MR] History Blog: Carcassonne’s Medieval Walls Restored

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 02:25:25 PDT 2024

Noble Friends,

First, I am delighted to report that the History Blog's certificate problem
has been resolved, and I can again call your attention to items posted
there. The blog has long been one of the best sources for posts to the
Merry Rose.

Today's History Blog entry announced the end of a major restoration project
on the medieval walls around the French city of Carcassonne. It is again
possible to walk the entire 1.3 km circuit of the upper ramparts and
towers, affording spectacular views of the city and its cathedral. The
project took over two years, and cost the equivalent €5.6 million ($6.2
million). Nothing was said about the outer ring of defences.
Carcassonne's walls are often claimed to be the largest and best preserved
medieval fortifications in Europe.

The History Blog story is at https://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/71109 .

More on the history of Carcassonne is at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cit%C3%A9_de_Carcassonne .

The Blog mentions how the Viscount of Carcassonne protected his Cathar
subjects during the Albigensian Crusade. That viscount was Raymond Roger
Trancavel. He was treacherously taken prisoner while under a safe conduct
pledge and later died in his own dungeon after Carcassonne fell:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Roger_Trencavel .

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆
Continuing a crusade to keep Merry Rose relevant and in business.