[MR] A&S Classes at the Holiday Court of Volodymyr the Great

Casey Bice daughterofthebard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 17:18:09 PST 2024

Greetings Atlantia!

Below is the A&S class list for Holiday Court!  There are class size
restrictions so please preregister for classes via this Google Form Link:
https://forms.gle/x42pgUJNxAQkn3kr8

If you have any questions, please reach out to me at
daughterofthebard at gmail.com.

Yours in Service and Arts,
Lady Eilionora inghean an Bhaird,
A&S Coordinator

*A&S Classes at Holiday Court of Volodymyr the Great:  January 27, 2024*

10:00 a.m. – til ? *Mini Bardic Madness*

Instructor:  Mistress Scholastica Joycours

*Description*

Mini Bardic Madness is the opportunity to challenge your creativity with
small challenges. Our first fyt is an insult, or you could say with the
help of a list of common Shakespearian words to create insults. The second
fyt will be to create definitions of obscure words one word at a time. The
final fyt is a mystery. I can't tell you everything, just know that you
don't have to be a bard to come participate, but willing to challenge the
spoken word.

*Class* *Fee*:  0

*Class* *Limit*:  The more the merrier.

10:30 a.m. - Noon* - Introduction to cross-stitch embroidery (with an
overview of Ukrainian embroidery history). *

*Instructor*:  Baroness Isabel of Biconyll

*Description*:  Learn history of Ukrainian embroidery and the basics of
cross stitch.  (Kits and Hand Outs Provided).  Note:  If you are an
experienced cross-stitcher and just wish to stay for the history portion of
the class, you are welcome to do so.

*Class* *Fee*:  $3

*Class* *Limit*:  20

12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.- *Pysanky*

*Instructor*:  Mistress Greer Jonsdottir

*Description*:  "Pysanky- Let's Write an Egg!" Colored eggs have been found
in Ukraine, Poland and even parts of Africa and Asia. The oldest extant
definitive Pysanka egg is from Lviv and dates to the 16th century. Other
dyed eggshell fragments dating back to the the 10th century have been found
in what is now Poland. In Ukraine the most beautiful dyed eggs are made
with a batik like technique called Pysanky. The art of writing Pysanky is
deceptively simple. Using a heated tool, beeswax is applied to an eggshell,
alternating layers of wax and dye to create a pattern which is revealed
when the wax is melted away at the end. Join me in writing beautiful eggs
of our own in celebration of our Barony!

*Class* *Fee*:  $5

*Class* *Limit*:  6

2:00 – 3:30 p.m.  *Fun With Flags - The Medieval Experience of Vexillology*

*Instructor*:  Dame Emma West

*Description*:  A discussion of banners/flags that were used during the SCA
time period. Review of the modern Serti technique of creating
a silk banners versus the historical way I have been researching and
experimenting with for over the last decade. A small silk piece can be
created during the class using the modern recreation of a historical
method.  A list of items you will need to produce your own silk item will
be discussed in class. Please bring a cartoon  (black and white outline) no
larger than 8"X8". In the class we will be working with dyes so there could
be a potential for mess.

*Class* *Fee*:  $5

*Class* *Limit*:  12

2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. *The Art of Gerdany*:  (Ukrainian Netted Beadwork)

*Instructor*:  THL Sindara Lind Rachael Fessel of Falconshield

ancient art of Ukrainian netted beadwork. The class will include a brief
overview of the history and a couple of basic techniques

*Class* *Fee*:  $7

*Class* *Limit*:  15