[MR] More “Getting Dressed” Videos

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 04:00:42 PDT 2024

Noble Friends,

I hope you enjoyed yesterday's Italian Renaissance video. Crow's Eye
Productions made a number of other short films in the "Getting Dressed"
series. Here are the SCA-relevant ones I've found in period order. There
are lots of other interesting offerings in this series, but they are out of
our period.

If you are interested in 7th centurySaxon women's clothing, try this:
https://youtu.be/q877Z5eePVg . Like the Italian clip, it also ends in a
surprise.

Stepping back into the 14th century, we have two videos. One concerns the
Luttrell Psalter plowman, a well-to-do peasant: https://youtu.be/RNAMbRt5eI8
.

Following is more 14th century, this time both a serving maid and an
upper-class woman: https://youtu.be/Ibj7GsfsCpI .

Next we have dressing women in a Royal Tudor household, specifically that
of Queen Catherine Parr. A maid is first, followed by a noble woman who in
turn will dress the Queen herself (the Queen is not shown, sorry):
https://youtu.be/_tMECKG3YK8 .

Finally, I found an Elizabethan-era clip in the Crow's Eye "Walk With Me
Through Time" series. This is more of an idyl, without dressing scenes or
explanation, but has great views of a lovely late 16th century woman's
costume: https://youtu.be/Ql1rBU6rDjM .

I hope you can learn from these short videos, or will at least be charmed.
As far as I can tell, this will end the series of posts that sprang from
the Luttrell Psalter film.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆
Continuing a crusade to keep Merry Rose relevant and in business.