[MR] Today is Tartan Day!

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 03:20:57 PDT 2024

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots,

Today, 6 April, is World Tartan Day, when Scots everywhere will don their
kilts in patriotic fervor. I'm not sure I'm going to wear one of mine
today, as I have no place to go, but the Saltire flag of Scotland already
is flying outside Mallard Lodge. Sadly, the view of the flag from the
street is mostly blocked by a pernicious oversized weed known as a magnolia
tree which my Lady Sarah Sinclair adores. Scottish and Southern heritage
collide!

More seriously, Tartan Day celebrates the 1320 Declaration of Arbroath.
This letter, sent to Pope John XXII, asserted Scotland's right to
independence from England and was sealed by 51 important Scottish nobles
and powerful commoners. Apparently the Pope was impressed, as he was
plotting a crusade in the Holy Land and wanted Scottish knights and their
retinues. However, he still refused to recognize Robert the Bruce as King
of Scots or lift the King's excommunication, and the Pope kept all of
Scotland under interdiction until 1328.

You can read about the Declaration at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_Arbroath .

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Continuing his own crusade to keep Merry Rose relevant and in business.