[MR] More Carpentry Sites

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 05:21:14 PDT 2024

Noble Friends,

Today I am offering two more carpentry sites for your consideration. There
was a third in my bookmarks, but the URL doesn't work, and a search on the
site title came up empty.

The site first is the masterful Encyclopedia of English Medieval Carpentry
by Robert Beech. This is mainly about wooden building construction, and is
filled with definitions, diagrams, photos and even thumbnail bios of
famous carpenters. If you ever wanted to wallow amid hammer beams, scarf
joints and joggles, this is the place for you:
http://www.medieval-carpentry.org.uk/index.html#home . Even if you are not
a carpenter, the entries include significant surviving buildings that you
can just marvel at through the photos, or that you can visit on your next
junket across the Big Puddle.

The second resource is a blog, St. Thomas Guild, sponsored by a Dutch
living history club of the same name. The blog mainly covers medieval
woodworking and furniture, but also has entries on other period crafts and
cookery. The blog is at https://thomasguild.blogspot.com/ .

That is about it for carpentry and such. I've some other treasures to share
soon.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆
Continuing a crusade to keep Merry Rose relevant and in business.