[MR] Emperor Joshua Abraham Norton

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 04:18:38 PDT 2023

Noble Friends,

I have NEVER commented on something so modern as the 19th century on
the Merry Rose, but today I will make an exception and introduce you to one
of my heroes, Joshua Abraham Norton, Emperor of the United States and
Protector of Mexico.

Emperor Norton, who may have been gently unhinged, or was one of the
world's greatest con men, proclaimed himself Emperor of the United States
on this day in 1859. For the next 21 years he was arguably the most popular
figure in San Francisco. Wearing a cast-off military uniform, and followed
by his two dogs, Bummer and Lazarus, Emperor Norton, presided over his
empire from the streets of San Francisco. His Imperial Majesty always had
reserved theater seats, ate for free at restaurants, and there was even
special money printed which only he could spend for his modest personal
needs.

As Emperor he made many proclamations in local newspapers. Some like his
call for a League of Nations actually came about. He also wrote letters
advising on world affairs to many leaders, including Queen Victoria (who
never responded). He was formally recognized by the King of Hawaii, then
still an independent country.

Emperor Norton died on 8 January 1880, and was initially buried in the
city's Masonic cemetery. His remains were later moved to the nearby
necropolis city of Colma, where he rests to this day.

Emperor Norton is still remembered fondly in San Francisco. There have been
a number of attempts to name major structures after him, including the new
Bay Bridge. One of Harbor Line's tourist boats was named Harbor Emperor,
and bore a wooden figurehead depicting the Emperor in his military uniform.
There is also a pocket park named for Emperor Norton in Molossia, a
"micronation" in Virginia City, Nevada, which continues many of
the Emperor's traditions.

You can read more about Emperor Norton at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton .

So today, I offer a modest bow and a big smile for one of San Francisco's
most interesting and flamboyant characters, Emperor Joshua Norton.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆