[MR] Charles III Coronation

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sat May 6 10:14:58 PDT 2023

Noble Friends,

There are probably no more than a handful of Scadians who didn't know about
King Charles' Coronation this morning. But if you missed watching the
spectacle, the BBC has a 90-second whirlwind video summary:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-65511795 .

I watched the whole ceremony this morning (I may be a Scot, but I am a
Royalist at heart). I especially was watching for the Royal Company of
Archers. They were in evidence as stationary guards in Westminster Abbey as
Charles and Camilla left at the end. Yes, they had their bows in hand, and
presumably their arrows in their belts.

The Yeoman Warders of the Tower weren't in evidence at the service, but
were marching as a company at the tail end of the military parade. They had
a place of honor on the veranda minutes later when Charles and Camilla came
out to receive the salute from the assembled troops. Nobody does
pageantry better than the Brits!

There was also an interesting bit I caught as Charles entered the Church. A
"Vivat" was sung to music, but the singers pronounced it "v-eye-vat". I'm
not trying to change SCA traditions, but did find this interesting.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆
Keeping Merry Rose relevant and in business for 16 years!