[MR] Wikipedia: Death of Wenceslaus

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 02:17:11 PDT 2022

Noble Friends,

On this date, 28 September in either 935 or 929, Duke Wenceslaus I was
assassinated by his brother Boleslaus the Cruel.

Wenceslaus (circa 907-whenever) was Duke of Bohemia in what is now the
Czech Republic. He was noted for promoting Christianity at a time when many
people in this part of Europe were still pagans. Wenceslaus was offed by
his itchy brother and some cronies at a feast (Note to self: don't eat
lunch with anyone having the by-name "The Cruel").

Instantly promoted to sainthood, Wenceslaus became the archetypical *rex
justus* or righteous king. Only he wasn't a king, at least not during his
life. His posthumous elevation was conferred by Holy Roman Emperor Otto I
(ruled as HRE 962-973). Naturally Saint Wenceslaus is venerated in the
Czech Republic. He also has enjoyed considerable popularity among the
English, which is why we have the Christmas carol about Wenceslaus trudging
around in the snow looking for poor people to befriend.

Like Arthur and Frederick Barbarosa, there are legends that Wenceslaus
sleeps with his knights under a mountain, ready to awaken and defend his
people. This is explored in Ogden Nash's book-length poem, THE CHRISTMAS
THAT ALMOST WASN'T.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆