[MR] BBC: Vikings: What We Get Right, and What We Get Wrong

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 09:59:42 PST 2022

Noble Friends, Especially Vikings:

Today BBC Culture offers a thought provoking essay on Vikings--what they
were, what they weren't, and how we get so much about them wrong.

The story plays off two new films, VIKINGS: VALHALLA on Netflix to be
released this Friday, and the big-screen film THE NORTHMAN due this spring.
There's going to be plenty of axe-swinging violence, but that isn't the
whole story of the Vikings and their antics.

Luke Walpole, the BBC piece's author, manages to make important points
about Viking trade, journeys to Constantanople and other far-off locales,
and women's role in Viking society. Walpole, and the authors and academics
he quotes, show us that there was much more to these complex and
interesting people than just murder and mayhem.

The story is found at
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20220222-netflixs-vikings-valhalla-why-weve-got-the-vikings-wrong

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆