[MR] BBC: Isfenğ, Jewish Donuts from the Middle Ages

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 11:59:37 PST 2022

Noble Friends, Especially Pastry Cooks:

Can anyone resist a donut? I know I can't!

Today BBC's "World's Table" section offers an interesting feature
about isfenğ, a type of donut or cruller that dates all the way back to at
least the 13th century Spain. Isfenğ are still a popular treat among
Sephardic Jews at Hanukkah. Isfenğ was also popular with Spanish Muslims,
and is still considered year-round street food in Morocco.

For the "hole" story, with mouth-watering photos and a recipe, see
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20221215-isfeng-a-crispy-doughnut-from-al-andalus-for-hanukkah
.

Special thanks to Lady Sarah Sinclair for noticing this story.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆