[MR] History Blog: Two 14th C. Cogs Found in Sweden

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 02:38:06 PST 2022

Noble Friends,

Today's History Blog entry described two cogs unearthed during a
construction project in Varberg, Sweden.

The 14th C. partial ships were found along what had been the shoreline in
medieval Getakärr ("Goat Marsh"). Dendritic analysis of the wood shows the
larger wreck was built with wood harvested in 1346 from a forest in the
Netherlands, Belgium or northern France. The second ship dates from
1355-1357 using timber from Poland. The wrecks also yielded parts of
rigging, and personal items left by the crews.

The story is at http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/65803 .
Unfortunately for me, our computer does not support the 3D viewer needed to
fully examine the photos of the hulls.

A website about other archaeological finds at Getakärr is at
https://arkeologerna.com/uppdrag/getakarr-en-medeltida-stad-under-varberg/
. The page is in Swedish, so I can only guess at the descriptions of the
site and objects shown, but they are intriguing, especially the tiny jug.
Clicking on the photo of the ruined church will take you to a really
charming animated Youtube video tour of Getakärr in medieval times. Great
detail, and I loved the cat and the cows!

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge 🦆