[MR] Wikipedia: Death of Arthur Prince of Wales

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 03:46:29 PDT 2022

Noble Friends,

On this date in 1502, Arthur Tudor, Prince of Wales, died of "sweating
sickness" at Ludlow Castle. His death cleared the way for his younger
brother to inherit the English throne as Henry VIII.

In 1501 Arthur married Catherine of Aragon, daughter of King Ferdinand II
of Aragon and Queen Isabella I of Castile. Upon Arthur's death, his
tightwad father Henry VII was expected to return Catherine's considerable
dowry (about $5 million in today's money). Instead he hastily arranged for
Catherine to marry his second son, Henry junior, although the marriage
didn't actually happen until Henry VIII was crowned in 1509.

Since canon law prevented a man from marrying his brother's widow (it was
considered incest), Catherine had to swear her marriage to Arthur had never
been consummated. Strange, because Arthur is said to have bragged about his
wedding night to his cronies the next morning. Somehow, the Pope was
convinced.

As we all know, Catherine was unable to give Henry VIII the son and heir
he craved so much. The consummation issue was reversed in Henry's papal
appeal to divorce Catherine. Pope Clement VII didn't buy this argument, and
the rest is history, as they say.

Arthur is buried in Worcester Cathedral, in a magnificent chantry.

Arthur's story is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur,_Prince_of_Wales .

A view of Arthur's chantry is at
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Worcester_Cathedral_20190211_133136_(32681794397).jpg
. (Copy and paste this URL).

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆