[MR] Wikipedia: Declaration of Arbroath

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 02:11:33 PDT 2021

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots,

On this date in 1320, a letter to Pope John XXII asserting Scottish
independence from England was penned at the Abbey of Arbroath. Before
sending the letter Scottish 51 nobles and magnates affixed their seals to
the document: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_Arbroath .

The Declaration summarized Scotland's long history of self-governance,
accused the English (particularly the late Edward I) of usurpation and
various crimes against Scotland, and asserted the rights of the Scottish
people (meaning the nobles, of course) to chuck out their current king
Robert the Bruce, and choose another ruler if he failed to measure up.

The text includes these stirring words: *"Because, while a hundred of us
remain alive, we will not submit in the slightest measure, to the
domination of the English. We do not fight for honour, riches, or glory,
but solely for freedom which no true man gives up but with his life."*

The Declaration was actually one of three letters sent to the Pope to make
Scotland's case for independence. The second was sent by Robert the Bruce
himself and a third was sealed and sent by most of the Scottish bishops.
All three letters made similar points. Sadly, the other two letters do not
survive.

I have never seen an account of how news of the Declaration was received by
the English king Edward II. He probably had some sort of temper tantrum,
but there was little he could do. He was still smarting over personally
being chased out of Scotland when his army massacred at the Battle of
Bannockburn in 1314.

The Declaration of Arbroath is generally seen as the "Scottish Declaration
of Independence". It is said to have influenced Thomas Jefferson when he
penned the American colonies' own Declaration of Independence.

In honor of the Declaration of Arbroath, today is a celebration of Scottish
heritage in Scotland, Canada, the United States and in several other
countries around the world with large populations of Scottish descent:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartan_Day .

I'm only going out to the bank today, but plan to proudly wear my kilt.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆
A proud descendant of Napier, Ferguson and Wilson blood