[MR] Tudor Fools

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 02:23:01 PDT 2020

Noble Friends,

Today Ancient Origins has a brief illustrated piece on Henry VIII's horned
helmet. This is a bizarre head piece with spectacles and rams horns. It was
a gift from Maximillian I, Holy Roman Emperor, to Henry around 1514.
The helm is all that survives from a complete suit of armor. Today it is a
prized exhibit at the Royal Armouries in Leeds:
https://www.ancient-origins.net/artifacts-other-artifacts/horned-helmet-henry-viii-0014431
.

The Ancient Origins article suggests the helmet might in some way be
connected to Henry VIII's fool, Will Sommers. Unless Henry gifted Sommers
the helmet, this must be wrong. Sommers didn't meet Henry until 1525. Will
Sommers continued to serve Henry for the rest of the King's life, and
remained in Tudor Royal service until Elizabeth I's coronation when he
apparently retired. Sommers died in 1560:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Sommers .

Mary I (aka "Bloody Mary", but not even a fool could get away with that
by-name) employed a female jester, Jane Foole. Jane and Will sometimes
performed together, and he may have acted as Jane's mentor. It has been
suggested that Will and Jane were married, but there is not evidence to
support that notion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Foole .

As an aside, dowager Queen of Scotts Mary of Guise employed two female
jesters. Today a costumed docent portrays one of these women at Stirling
Castle.

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆