[MR] BBC: 3D Caerlaverock Castle Model

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 03:17:46 PDT 2020

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots:

Today the BBC is offering a feature on a 3D model of Caerlaverock Castle.
The detail in the images is amazing, even in the 2D BBC presentation:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-52722380 .

I wasn't able to access the 3D model itself, but with considerable
searching I did find the web site at
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/caerlaverock-castle-4a21aeea4daf4317aeb13a2fff7dad7f
. What I found there was a digital model of the castle which can be rotated
360 degrees. No aerial views are available. It is still remarkable for its
detail.

The collection of 320 Sketchfab objects can be browsed at
https://sketchfab.com/HistoricEnvironmentScotland . Another castle
available here is Smailholm Tower, a small border castle built by the
Pringle family during the 15th or early 16th century. There are also many
other objects to view such as household goods, weapons, stone objects, and
cartoon figures in period clothing used in the visitor experience videos at
Caerlaverock (useful examples of Scottish medieval clothing!).

And Caerlaverock Castle itself? Well, you can read a Wikipedia page on its
history at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caerlaverock_Castle . Caerlaverock
castle is in Dumfries and Galloway, and was the stronghold of the Maxwells,
one of the most powerful lowland families.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆