[MR] A letter regarding Doxxing from the Society Seneschal

Atlantian Seneschal seneschal at atlantia.sca.org
Fri Jun 19 09:05:57 PDT 2020

Please read this letter from the Society Seneschal
please read the missive from the Society Seneschal.

To all Kingdom Seneschals,

    I want to reiterate a statement my predecessor issued a few years ago
on the issue of doxxing any SCA participant. I want to alert all of the SCA
Crowns and officers (Kingdom and local group officers) that Doxxing (i.e.
the posting or distribution of personal private information like SSNs, Tax
Returns, Drivers License numbers, and other information no other person is
privileged to possess is DOXXING. *The use or dissemination of any
information, private or public, including** but not limited to address,
phone numbers, and employment information about any individual(s) **is a
violation of the SCA Code of Conduct and the SCA Bullying and Harassment
Policy*. Doxxing is also against the law in a number of jurisdictions.
Furthermore, Doxxing may likewise be actionable as an Invasion of Privacy
which may result in a civil suit and monetary damages. Please convey to all
of your officers at both the Kingdom and local group level that *anyone* of the
SCA found to be Doxxing or engaged in Bullying and Harassment via the use
of personal information intended to harass, annoy, alarm, or harm the
employment status of another person is subject to termination from their
office as well as being subjected to sanction by the SCA. I am instructing
all Kingdom Seneschals and their deputies to obtain screenshots of
instances of Doxxing or the advocating of Doxxing by any participant as
this cannot be tolerated and offenders are subject to being sanctioned for
this behavior.

Everyone needs to contemplate the consequences of their actions. I know
that there is a lot of anger and frustration over recent events. However,
as officers and members of the SCA, we must act in accordance with the very
foundations of this organization: courtesy, honor, chivalry and respect.

               We are all held to the standards of the Society. If there
are allegations that *any member *took part in doxing or Bullying and
Harassment, that behavior will be reviewed for possible sanction against
those participants.  Officers have a responsibility to be leaders–to be
part of a solution and not part of the problem, even when the fog of
division, discord and blame makes it hard to see what is truly important to
us all.   All persons in the SCA should be treated fairly by Society
Officers and Kingdom Leadership with the equal application of our rules to
everyone without regard to friendship or affiliation.

               It is times like these when we need to pull together, rally
around what is good about our Society and lead by example. Even when the
world appears bereft of courtesy, honor, chivalry, and respect, we need to
be an example of these virtues. I hope that this clears up the intent and scope
of the policy. It is a serious problem in the SCA and we intend to
likewise, address it with serious solutions.

Respectfully,

Mike Watkins

Society Seneschal

Duchess Simone
Sarah Toich
Seneschal, Kingdom of Atlantia
seneschal at atlantia.sca.org
410-290-3961 NLT 10 pm

*“Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you
plant.”Robert Louis Stevenson*