[MR] Poetry meetup reminder

Cindy Watkins cindylou0527 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 06:53:57 PDT 2020

Hello friends, just a lil reminder that Atlantian Poetry meetup is this
evening from 6-7pm! I have arbitrarily decided today is Sonnet Day™, so
please bring your favorite period (or original!) sonnet to share if you got
‘em. Or your favorite happy poem! I have a lil happy poem from last week’s
prompt. Also a lil Sir Thomas Wyatt joke poem to share. It is not a sonnet
but I laughed and laughed so still v good. Come hang out!
Google Meeting ID: meet.google.com/chu-kmca-ycc
Prompt of the Week: Write the first eight lines of a Petrarchan Sonnet.
“The Petrarchan sonnet, perfected by the Italian poet Petrarch, divides the
14 lines into two sections: an eight-line stanza (octave) rhyming ABBAABBA,
and a six-line stanza (sestet) rhyming CDCDCD or CDECDE.” The initial octet
sets up a “problem” or subject that is “answered” or otherwise resolved in
the final sestet. The ninth line is known as the vuelta, or turn, as it
begins the response to the initial eight lines. I thought it would be cute
if next week if there is interest we could trade octaves and write the
responding sestet to someone else’s octave.
Read more about Petrarchan sonnets here:
https://www.masterclass.com/articles/poetry-101-what-is-a-petrarchan-sonnet-learn-about-petrarchan-sonnets-with-examples#what-poets-are-best-known-for-petrarchan-sonnets
https://poets.org/glossary/sonnet
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/learn/glossary-terms/sonnet

<3 Talia