[MR] Atlantian Poetry Meetup Cancelled Today, August 4th

Cindy Watkins cindylou0527 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 13:16:52 PDT 2020

Due to unforeseen circumstances involving the decidedly unpoetic subject of
plumbing repair, I am unfortunately cancelling Atlantian Poetry Meetup for
this afternoon. See you all next Tuesday. However, I still have a prompt
for you!

Prompt of the Week: Still on a sonnet kick, I listened to William
Shakespeares collected sonnets on audiobook this weekend (narrated by Alex
Jennings, his voice is like if a stick of butter was British, which for me
is a good thing) . I had forgotten how many of early sonnets were some form
of “You are hot so you are morally obligated to have my babies”
http://shakespeare.mit.edu/Poetry/sonnet.X.html or “You are going to die
someday but don’t worry I’m writing this poem”
http://shakespeare.mit.edu/Poetry/sonnet.LXXXI.html  Write a poem (bonus
points if its a sonnet!) where the addressee responds to one of these sorts
of poems. MIT has all the sonnets online here, if you are interested in
reading more: http://shakespeare.mit.edu/Poetry/sonnets.html

Also found out he wrote a literal old man yelling at clouds poem and I
honestly love it:
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/90049/sonnet-34-why-didst-thou-promise-such-a-beauteous-day