[MR] BBC: Secrets of The Night Watch

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 02:32:49 PST 2019

Noble Friends,

While it isn't really from our SCA period, the famous Rembrandt masterpiece
usually known as "The Night Watch" continues to fascinate us, and the world
at large.

Currently the BBC has an interesting feature about the painting which
explores several mysteries and myths, including Rembrandt's own presence in
the composition, the identity of the young woman and the significance of
her chicken, was the painting Rembrandt's downfall, and much more:
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20190214-does-rembrandts-the-night-watch-reveal-a-murder-plot

Since the BBC story doesn't have a really good version of the painting, you
might want to open this Wikipedia article and and click on the painting to
blow it up to large size. Put it in the background so you can toggle back
and forth: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Watch . You will need
the Wikipedia version to see Rembrandt. It's a bit like playing "Where's
Waldo".

Also, just for fun, you can play the famous flash mob film "Onze Helden
Zijn Terug" (English: "Our Heroes Are Back") at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6W2ZMpsxhg . This one never gets old.

Don't forget the companion video about the making of the flash mob film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxPhRsl57dM .

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆