[MR] History Blog: "Night Watch" Restoration

Dexter Guptill 3fgburner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 08:22:23 PDT 2018

You might be a nerd about that period, if you know (a) what the musketeer
in red is supposed to be doing (dumping one of those powder bottles down
his musket, not holding the barrel), and (b) where that is, in the loading
process.

http://www.villageantiques.ch/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/scan0004.jpg

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 5:17 AM Garth Groff and Sally Sanford via Atlantia <
atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org> wrote:

> Noble Friends,
>
> While it isn't exactly in our period of interest, today the History Blog
> reports that curators at the Rijksmuseum will began a major restoration of
> Rembrandt's "Night Watch". The work will be done in place and in full view
> of museum visitors, as well as viewable via a digital feed available
> online: http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/52975 .
>
> In addition, the Rijksmuseum will stage an exhibition of all 400 Rembrandt
> paintings in their collection from 15 February to 10 June 2019. No doubt
> there will also be an online version, a feature for which the Rijksmuseum
> is noted.
>
> The painting is more properly known as "Militia Company of District II
> Under the Command of Captain Frans Banninck Cocq" in the English
> translation, though "Night Watch" is so much easier to remember. It was
> actually painted in 1642, but certainly is fascinating to many Scadians.
>
> The History Blog author has thoughtfully provided a link to the famous
> shopping mall "flash mob" video, "Onze Helden Zijn Terug!",  that promoted
> the Rijksmuseum's reopening after renovations. You can watch it from the
> History Blog story, or use this link:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6W2ZMpsxhg . If you haven't seen this
> brief film, do view it. It is great fun!
>
> Yours Aye,
>
> Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆

Dex
http://www.3fgburner.net

"Maxim 37: There is no overkill. There is only 'Open Fire', and 'I need to
reload'. " http://www.schlockmercenary.com