[MR] Death of Henry II, King of France

Dexter Guptill 3fgburner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 04:51:05 PDT 2018

This was one of the few times that an autopsy was done on a deceased King,
and yielded some interesting results. He was attended by both his own Court
Surgeon, the renowned Ambroise Paré, and Andreas Vesalius, sent by his
patron the Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V.

The autopsy revealed another contributory cause of death: A concussion and
subdural hematoma. However, trephination would not have helped, because
this was a hitherto-unseen injury: A counter-coup concussion. That is to
say, the lance impact on the right side of Henry's eye-slot rocked his
head, and the left rear portion of his brain bounced off the inside of his
skull. Thus, the bleeding and swelling of the brain were opposite the
impact point.

--
Dex
http://www.3fgburner.net

"Maxim 37: There is no overkill. There is only 'Open Fire', and 'I need to
reload'. " http://www.schlockmercenary.com