[MR] Luttrell Psalter Film

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 03:08:14 PDT 2018

Noble Friends,

In preparation for a brief presentation on developing a persona at
Isenfir's next A&S night, I remembered the delightful *Luttrell Psalter
Film* and thought some of you might want to view this brief movie before
the event. Those of you reading this through the *Merry Rose* probably
won't be attending our A&S activity (you would be welcome), but certainly
would enjoy the film.

The original *Luttrell Psalter* was an illuminated prayer book produced for
a Lincoln-area, Knight, Sir Geoffrey Luttrell (1276-1345), sometime between
1325 and 1340. The marginal illuminations are fascinating detailed images
of people going about typical everyday tasks of the time: spinning,
farming, hunting, dancing, making music, stealing cherries, etc. (and yes,
even the snail is there). The illuminations offer a wonderful snapshot of
medieval life, and for most commoners are probably typical up to around
1500, though the clothing would certainly have changed. You can learn more
about the Psalter at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luttrell_Psalter . The
original book is held in the British Library, and a portion of it is
available online:
http://www.bl.uk/turning-the-pages/?id=a0f935d0-a678-11db-83e4-0050c2490048&type=book
.

The *Lutterel Psalter Film* brings these images to life with actors, and
shows what a year would have been like in a typical English medieval
village. The costumes and settings were carefully researched for
authenticity. There is little dialogue (and that is in Middle English), but
the sound track features lovely period music played on replica instruments.
I don't know if the film is still available to own, but it is available for
free from the Lutterel Psalter site via YouTube:
https://luttrellpsalter.wordpress.com/the-luttrell-psalter-film/ . The main
site also has some interesting discussions about the clothing:
https://luttrellpsalter.wordpress.com .

I really suggest you bookmark or even import the video. It is the sort of
thing you will want to see again, and is really great teaching piece for
our new members.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆