[MR] BBC: 7th Century Writing Found at Tintagel Castle

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 01:24:50 PDT 2018

Noble Friends,

Excavations at Tintagel Castle in Cornwall have yielded a piece of slate
covered with 7th Century inscriptions. This thought-provoking find hints at
a high-status literate and Christian occupation of the castle site in the
post-Roman period during a time when Cornwall was still an independent
kingdom: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-44486385 .

The find follows earlier discoveries of tableware from Turkey and glassware
from Spain: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-40588509

Tintagel is thought by some to have been King Arthur's birthplace. More on
Tintagel Castle can be found at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintagel_Castle

Lady Sarah and I had planned to see the castle on our first England trip in
2000. That day it was pouring rain in sheets during one of the worst storms
to batter Cornwall in over a century. Our driver guide wisely found us
other things to do. (Sigh!) Maybe someday.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆