[MR] Edinburgh 1544 Video

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 02:31:05 PST 2018

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots:

I recently stumbled upon these marvelous computer-generarted videos of how
Edinburgh might have looked in 1544. They are based on contemporary maps,
along with the few surviving buildings from that time. Like most cities and
towns in what is now Great Britain, Edinburgh was primarily half-timbered
wattle-and-daub structures. In May 1544, the English burned Edinburgh
during the "Rough Wooing", intending to force a marriage between the future
Edward VI and the infant Mary Queen of Scots. When the Edinburgh rose from
the ashes, it was almost entirely rebuilt in stone.

Enjoy the show at https://vimeo.com/user40599170 . Note that the selections
include more than Edinburgh.

I was particularly interested in the West Bow Street video, as Lady Sarah
and I visited this street in April. As the street is now, it was the
inspiration for "Diagon Alley" of Harry Potter Fame (the Elephant Cafe
where Rowling wrote is just around the corner). Today Bow Streeet is filled
with quirky tall stone buildings. In 1544 it was no less quirky, and
certainly more flammable.

Here's a Wikipedia page about the "Rough Wooing":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_Wooing

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿