[MR] IMPORTANT: Updated University Site Weapons Policy

Adriana la Bretonne baronessadriana at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 10:29:14 PDT 2018

There has been a recent clarification on the weapons policy from the School
Board Attorney for Franklinton High School, the site of Fall University (
http://university.atlantia.sca.org/index.php) which will occur on Saturday,
September 15.

****SITE WEAPONS POLICY: NO weapons (real or replica), SCA legal rapiers,
daggers, HEMA blades, rattan swords, or wasters (plastic or wooden), or
other martial arts sports equipment, are allowed on any school campus in
Franklinton County. Also, no one may wear armour or clothing that might
make it look like they are carrying a weapon.****

We have contacted all affected rapier, HEMA, and armoured instructors and
will be making any requested updated or modifications to classes ASAP.

At this time, we plan for HEMA / rapier classes to be taught using
substitute materials that fall within the limitations of the policy.  Also,
armoured fighting classes taught by Duke Cuan, Duke Anton, Count Christoph,
and HRH Ragnarr will move to a park approximately 15 minutes from the site.
More detailed info will be sent out as soon as possible.

Please understand this is very frustrating to the University staff as well
as our instructors and attendees, but this is a new site this information
was not communicated to James or me until just a few days ago.

James did try very hard to explain what we did, provided videos of HEMA,
rapier, and armoured instruction, and noted that TSA classifies and thus
allows rapiers and such as "sports equipment". But, in the end, the answer
was a firm, "NO".

If you have any questions, please direct them to Master James of Middle
Aston (middleaston at yaho.com), Teacher at Franklinton High School and Fall
University Event Steward / Autocrat or myself (university at atlantia.sca.org).

Thank you for understanding,
Adriana