[MR] Pictish Stone Found in River

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 01:21:18 PDT 2018

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots,

I've been sitting on the story of this carved Pictish stone, waiting for a
slow news day in history. Since in the past I've commented at length on the
Battle of Crecy (anniversary today), I decided to trot the rock out for
your enjoyment and approval.

The carved Pictish stone was spotted by a fisherman on the River Don's bank
in Aberdeen. The current climate change-induced draught across Britain
dropped the Don to record low levels and exposed the stone. While not as
spectacular as the great Pictish standing stones, any carved stone from
this era is rare and worthy of preservation.

Here's the BBC story:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-45282376
. The discovery has also been covered on the History Blog:
http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/52494 .

Although I've commented on Pictish stones before and offered the
Wikipedia's general story, it am pleased to post the link again for your
further enlightenment. Photos of some of the most interesting can be found
here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictish_stone . Note that many stones
have Wikipedia pages of their own which are linked in the main article. You
could wallow in their glory all morning.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆