[MR] BBC: Early Maps and Atlases

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford mallardlodge1000 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 01:42:00 PDT 2018

Noble Friends,

Today BBC Travel is offering an illustrated story about early maps and
atlases, particularly those held by the Biblioteca Civica Bertoliana in
Vicenza. This largely unknown archive, housed in a former monastery,
contains thousands of Renaissance-era books, manuscripts and maps.

See examples and learn about these early maps at
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20180819-the-travel-guides-that-charted-our-world
.

I searched for a web page about the Biblioteca Civica Bertoliana itself,
but only came up with sites in Italian. Not much use to most of us (my
reading knowledge of Italian is minimal, though I used to catalog books in
that language). However, I did find a nice Wikipedia page about Vicenza
itself, which has lots of photos of late medieval and Renaissance
buildings: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicenza .

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆