[MR] BBC: Stirling Castle Slide Show

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Wed Sep 20 02:29:34 PDT 2017

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots:

If I have posted this before, please forgive me, but I just stumbled onto a wonderful BBC Travel slide show about Stirling Castle: http://www.bbc.com/travel/gallery/20170524-stirling-castle-the-last-stronghold-of-scotland .

Be sure to take note of Mary of Guise’s golf clubs in slide 14 (between the bed and the fireplace) — golf is quintessentially Scottish, despite some claims it was an English invention (the cultural imperialists also claim haggis, but at least they don’t dispute the origin of scotch).

I had the good fortune to visit Stirling Castle last April. It is very special to me as the fortress my real ancestor John le Nae Peer helped defend against Edward I’s 1304 siege (as I have bragged many times). John was one of the 26 surviving gentleman defenders (there were also about 50 common men-at-arms left, plus a handful of civilians).

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, That Crazy Scot