[MR] Castle in Isenfir

Garth Groff or Sally Sanford sarahsan at embarqmail.com
Fri Oct 13 10:23:30 PDT 2017

Noble Friends,

Yesterday in a feature entitled “125 Years of Progress”, the
Charlottesville DAILY PROGRESS newspaper published a photo of the Royal
Orchard Castle (aka Scott’s Castle):
http://www.dailyprogress.com/125yearsofprogress/scott-castle-open-to-public-for-first-and-only-time/article_c0d2de72-af5a-11e7-9924-1b604458d26f.html
.

The castle is sometimes visible from I-64 westbound between milepost 102
and 104 on the north side of the road during the climb from Crozet to
the summit of Afton Mountain. You have to be looking in exactly the
right place at the right time, and it easiest to spot when the trees are
bare. It is visible for about two seconds at freeway speeds. The owners
of the castle are very private people (the site is said to be protected
by armed security guards!), and the grounds have been closed for many
years. Don’t even try to drive there.

You can read more about Scott’s Castle at
http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/royalorc.htm

It is very cool for the Shire of Isenfir to have a castle within our
boundaries, even if it is inaccessible.

I know there is at least one more castle in Atlantia, in the Barony of
Stierbach (not counting palatial mansions and civic buildings built in a
castellated style). It is located at 24637 James Madison Highway (U.S.
15) in Aldie, Virginia.

Maybe we could get up a list of castles in Atlantia, including replanted
historical buildings that are not castles (Virginia House and Agecroft
in Richmond). No Victorian wedding cake mansions though. Any takers?

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge