[MR] Founding a Household: Thank You

Rhiannon Morgaine via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Sat Jul 22 20:05:16 PDT 2017

If you are coming to Pennsic, come see me and we can request the registered
emblazon (picture) and a re-blazoning if needed.

Lady Rhiannon Morgaine

via Newton Mail
[https://cloudmagic.com/k/d/mailapp?ct=pa&cv=9.4.61&pv=7.0&source=email_footer_2]
On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 7:09pm, Garth Groff via Atlantia <
atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org [atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org] >
wrote:
Noble Friends,

Thank you all so much for all the comments and advice on founding a
household. At the moment, Mallard Lodge consists of just two of us, my
sweetheart Lady Sarah Sinclair and myself. From the beginning of our SCA
journey we have called ourselves "The Archers of Mallard Lodge".

This was really quite logical, since the real house we live in has been
Mallard Lodge since 2005, several years before we joined the SCA. How it
got that name is a long non-period story I won't tell here, but I always
justify the name by saying, "Every great house in Virginia needs a
name." Transferring the name to our SCA personas was a natural.

I noted that some of the folks who had earlier posted to the Reddit
source sent to me by Lady Isabella D'Angelo said they had a lot of
trouble with the name. I didn't. Lord Ragnar Leifsson worked with me at
WoW last year, and did a fine job crafting the device and doing the
blazon. To my surprise (given my earlier problems with names and
devices), both the household name and badge were approved with lightning
speed and announced in the February ACORN. That might be some sort of
record. Curiously, the blazon in my OSCAR notification says the main
color is vert rather than azure. Lord Ragnar got it right, and it was
correctly reported in the ACORN listing as azure. Vert! It is based on
the Saltire flage of Scotland for goodness sake.I haven't followed up on
this at the Society level, maybe because I don't want to inflame my ulcer.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge

On 7/22/17 6:10 AM, Garth Groff via Atlantia wrote:
 > Noble Friends,
 >
 > I would appreciate any advice or commentary on how to found a
 > household in Atlantia. I see nothing on our kingdom web site, but then
 > it has no search engine. Are their rules in the Book of Law or the
 > Policy books? At the society level I saw mention of charters for
 > households, but that was on an unofficial page.
 >
 > Mallard Lodge at least has its own authorized heraldic device: Azure,
 > a saltire argent, in pale a plate charged with a duck head couped
 > vert, and a plate charged with a thistle proper, and the name "Mallard
 > Lodge" has been accepted. So where do we go from here?
 >
 > Yours Aye,
 >

 > Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge

Subscriptions: