[MR] Wikipedia: First English Lottery

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Wed Jan 11 02:15:23 PST 2017

Noble Friends,

On this date in 1566 Queen Elizabeth I chartered the first English
lottery to raise money for harbor improvements and other public works.
You can see one of the "scrolls" or tickets at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lottery . Interestingly, there were no
losers here. Everyone who cashed their tickets received their money back
three years later, in essence giving the Crown a three-year
interest-free loan.

The Wikipedia article discusses several other examples of lottery
schemes from our period of interest, including examples from the Low
Countries, Italy and France. The French example was a total failure due
to opposition from the moneyed classes. Perhaps they felt it was in bad
taste ;-) .

So state-organized gambling is nothing new. As 'they' say, "The more
things change, the more they stay the same."

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, The Laird of Mallard Lodge