[MR] BBC & Wikipedia: Search For Lost Scottish King

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Tue Feb 21 02:34:22 PST 2017

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots:

I was thinking of letting the anniversary of King of Scots James I's
assassination pass without comment, but today the BBC posted a story
about a search for his tomb. James was murdered on this date in 1437 in
Perth, Scotland (not 4 February as mentioned in the BBC story). He was
buried at Charterhouse Priory, a monastic foundation in Perth he had
built and where he maintained royal apartments. Sadly, the priory was
destroyed during the Scottish reformation and the tomb was lost. The
site is now covered by a pub and a homless housing complex. A group in
Scotland now wants to find the King's remains. Shades of Richard III:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-39028871 .

James I (1394-1437, ruled 1423-1437) was arguably the most brutal and
unpopular of the Stewart Kings. James spent most of his active reign
eliminating his relatives, the Albany Stewarts and seizing their lands,
plus lands of any other nobles who grew too powerful or too rich.
Finally the Scottish nobility had enough of James. Late on the night of
20-21 February 1437, a group of some 30 men sneaked into Charterhouse
and attacked the King and the Queen, with daggers, of course. The Queen
was wounded, but managed to escape. James hid in a sewer, but the end
had been blocked to keep his tennis balls from being lost. Here we was
caught and murdered by Robert Graham:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_I_of_Scotland .

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge