[MR] Wikipedia: John Napier

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Wed Feb 1 01:59:24 PST 2017

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots,

On this day in 1550 John Napier, the Scottish polymath, was born at
Merchiston Tower near Edinburgh.

John Napier was noted as a religious philosopher within the Scottish
Calvinist tradition. In 1593 wrote a treatise on the BOOK OF REVELATION
entitled A PLAINE DISCOVERY OF THE WHOLE REVELATION OF ST. JOHN, which
went through numerous editions and was translated into several other
languages. Based on his reading of the Bible text, and his own
mathematical calculations, Napier predicted the end of the world in 1688
or 1700. Well, he got that part wrong.

John Napier is today most famous as the inventor of logarithms, which
some of you will remember eased our way through high school mathematics
classes (Thanks, John!). In addition (so to speak), he invented Napier's
Bones, a mechanical calculation device. Most of Napier's mathematical
discoveries took place in the 1600s, and so are actually out of our
period of interest.

Napier also dabbled in alchemy, but who didn't among the intelligentsia
of that time?

To read more about this remarkable Scot go to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Napier .

Merchiston Tower still stands on the grounds of Edinburgh Napier
University: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchiston_Tower .

Someday I will relate the sad tale of Archie Napier, John's son, who was
daggered on King James VI's doorstep in the approved Scottish fashion.
But that's a tale for another day.

Part of my interest in John Napier is because he is my real-life cousin
to the 18th or so removal. The Napier family divided sometime during the
16th century into the Kilmahew (original) and Edinburgh branches. My
direct Scottish ancestors are from the Kilmahew line, the gamblers who
lost all their lands and fortune at cards (Sigh!).

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge