[MR] Wikipedia: Battle of Flodden

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Fri Sep 9 02:23:16 PDT 2016

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots,

On this dark date in 1513, King James IV of Scotland was killed leading
a desperate charge at the Battle of Flodden. Much of the Scottish army
also died that day, including hundreds of nobles and gentlemen. It was
the worst defeat in Scottish history.

James IV had generally enjoyed cautious, but cordial relations with the
English Kings Henry VII and Henry VIII. He was married to Margaret
Tudor, daughter of Henry VII (and thus sister of Henry VIII). When
England joined the War of the League of Cambrai to defend the Pope from
the French, the Scots was drawn into the conflict through the "Auld
Alliance" with France. James invaded northern England to provide a
diversion and tie up an English army. This was a very bad move, and the
Scottish army was outflanked and cut to pieces by a smaller English
force under the aged Earl of Surry.

James was arguably the best of the Stewart rulers of Scotland (IMHO,
pretty lousy kings and queens, most of whom came to bad ends), but he
wasn't much of a general.

It was James and Margaret Tudor's marriage that eventually gave the
English throne to the Scots, James VI of Scotland / James I of England
was their great grandson and Queen Elizabeth I's great grand-nephew.

You can read about the Battle of Flodden here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Flodden

For more about James IV, try this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_IV_of_Scotland

Yours Aye,