[MR] BBC: Rethatching a Blackhouse

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Tue Oct 25 03:15:59 PDT 2016

Noble Friends, especially Fellow Scots,

Today BBC is offering a photo feature about re-thatching a blackhouse on
the Isle of Lewis. While the house itself dates to the 19th century,
thatched buildings in Scotland and England certainly date to our period
of interest. The photos offer details of how this work is done:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-37755821

Blackhouses themselves, according to what I've read, actually date to
the 1700s. How they differed from earlier peasant architecture is
unclear. Blackhouses usually were divided somewhat at the middle, with
livestock kept in one end, and the other end for the family. The smell
much have been absolutely horrid, but people of the time were used to
it. Of course, exposure to animal waste cannot of been healthy for
humans, but nobody knew about e-coli and other nasties.

Isn't it nice that we're all supposed to be at least "gentles" in the SCA?

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, That Crazy Scot