[MR] Wikipedia: "Humphrey Stafford with the Silver Hand"

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Tue Oct 11 02:16:23 PDT 2016

Noble Friends,

Today Wikipedia had a tantalizing "Did you know?" mentioning "Humphrey
Stafford with the Silver Hand" who lost his mitt in what was described
as "a bellicose engagement". This sounded too good to pass up, so I
located his bio to share with all of you.

Sir Humphrey Stafford was an English knight, soldier and courtier.
Although he served the Henrys IV through VI in battle and was a member
of parliament, his career was typical of the lesser barons of the time,
meaning unremarkable. What makes him interesting is the euphonious
silver prosthesis he wore. It was apparently gained in 1406 or 1407
during Owain Glyndŵr's rebellion against Henry IV:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humphrey_Stafford_(died_1442) .

Sir Humphrey died on 27 May 1442 and was buried at Abbotsbury Abbey,
Dorset. Parts of the abbey still stand, including a thatched tithe barn:
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/abbotsbury-abbey-remains/
and
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/abbotsbury-abbey-remains/history/
. This set me to speculating about whether Sir Humphrey's grave still
exists and was he buried with or without his valuable silver hand. Or
was the hand dug up for Henry VIII when the monastery was destroyed in
1539?

Isn't history fun?

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, That Cheeky Scot