[MR] Wikipedia: Richard I Wounded

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Fri Mar 25 02:17:57 PDT 2016

Noble Friends,

So much happened in history today: Robert the Bruce was crowned King of
the Scots, Sir Walter Raleigh was granted a charter to colonize what
would become Virginia, etc., etc.

What I chose to talk about this morning was the wounding of Richard I of
England (aka Richard the Lion Hearted). On this day in 1199, Richard was
inspecting the work of his sappers during the siege of Châlus-Chabrol, a
small castle in the Limousin held by rebels. The king was not wearing
his armor, and was shot in the shoulder with a crossbow bolt. The bolt
was removed by a surgeon (called a "butcher" in some accounts), but the
wound became gangrenous and Richard died on 6 April. Supposedly Richard
forgave the boy who shot the bolt, but some accounts say the lad was
still brutally executed after Richard died. Not wise to shoot at kings.
Richard's body is buried at Fontevraud Abbey in Anjou, but there is a
very cool plaster replica of the tomb (itself now a historic relic,
despite being a Victorian copy) in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

Here's a Wikipedia story about Richard the Lion Hearted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_I_of_England

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, That Crazy Scot