[MR] Wikipedia: Swiss Guard Rerun

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Fri Jan 22 01:59:12 PST 2016

Noble Friends,

Normally I shy away from annual reruns of stuff from Wikipedia, however,
today is the traditional anniversary of the founding of the Papal Swiss
Guards. This venerable military unit continues to serve as the Papal
security force, and still carries halberds and swords (though they are
also trained and equipped with the latest small arms). I just couldn't
resist calling the Swiss Guard to your attention again.

Besides the Papal Swiss Guards, there have been many other units of
Swiss mercenaries (including the 30,000 who chewed up Charles the Bold
and his Burgundian army at the battle of Nancy in 1477). You can read
the whole story at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Guard .

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier