[MR] Death of King James I of Scotland

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Sun Feb 21 03:00:35 PST 2016

Noble Friends, Especially Fellow Scots,

On 21 February 1437, King James I of Scotland was assassinated while
hiding in a sewer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_I_of_Scotland .
Do not confuse this James I with his descendant James I of England, who
was also James VI of Scotland.

James' life was as complicated as the royal numbering, but in summary,
during Scotland's fractious political infighting of his youth against
his relatives the Albany Stewarts, young James was sent to France in
early 1406 for his safety. Some safety! His ship was captured by
pirates, who sold the young prince to Henry IV of England. James was to
remain a "guest" of the English for the next 18 years. He was treated
well, received a good education, campaigned with the English against the
French and Scots during the Hundred Years War (where he had a number of
his own countrymen hanged), and was allowed to attend court were he
learned the English ways of governing. The Henrys, IV and V, hoped to
make a pliable ally of James. When James was finally released (with a
30,000 pound hotel bill and a very noble English bride), he returned to
Scotland to ruthlessly consolidate his power, both domestic and
internationally, and turned against his former English "hosts". As taste
of things to come, he stiffed the English over his ransom and allowed
some of the substitute Scottish hostages to die in English prisons.
Also, to promote archery along the English model, he banned such sports
as golf and tennis (except for himself and his cronies), taking aim
especially at Scottish foot ball--a very bad move to the national
passion. By 1437 almost everybody in Scotland, from disgruntled sports
fans to the entire nobility, hated James. He was finally offed by a
cabal of his own disaffected nobles while staying at the Greyfriars
Abbey in Perth. After fleeing into a sewer and finding the end blocked
to prevent his own tennis balls from being washed away, James was
daggered repeatedly in the approved Scottish fashion.

Yours Aye,

The Gentle Lord Mungo Napier, Whose Own Daggers Have Grown Dull Indeed