[MR] Wikipedia: Jesuits Founded 1534

Garth Groff via Atlantia atlantia at seahorse.atlantia.sca.org
Sun Sep 27 02:31:54 PDT 2015

Noble Friends,

On this date in 1534 Francis Xavier and six others founded the Jesuit
order, properly known as the Society of Jesus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Jesus . While this is
significant to much of European history, I want to call your attention
to Jesuit activities in England during the Reformation.

  The Jesuits were to play a major role in the history of England during
the reign of Elizabeth I (and later James I, but that's out of our
period). They were deeply involved in the Catholic underground, both
politically and spiritually. For a brief explanation go to this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_in_England_and_Wales and
scroll down to "Tudor Era". Jesuits and their activities were so
troublesome to the crown that they were singled out for special
persecution in the Jesuits, Etc. Act of 1584:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesuits,_etc._Act_1584 .

Many of the "40 Martyrs of England and Wales" were Jesuits, or were
associated with the Jesuits:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty_Martyrs_of_England_and_Wales . One
in particular is of great interest, Nicholas Owen:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Owen_(Jesuit) . Owen was a Jesuit
lay brother, as well as a master carpenter and mason. He built numerous
"priest holes" in Catholic homes, secret rooms or passages where priests
could take refuge or escape during times of danger:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest_hole . Owen was also believed to be
among the conspirators who helped Father John Gerard escape from the
Tower of London in 1597. Gerard and another man slid down a rope from
their prison tower to a boat in the Thames in one of the prison's most
famous break-outs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gerard_(Jesuit) .

Yours Aye,

Lord Mungo Napier, That Crazy Scot